On 8 September 1918, the Mosman Sub-Branch received its Charter from the Returned and Services League of Australia (New South Wales Branch).
Mosman Sub-Branch is one of only two on the North Shore, one of only a few in the whole State, designated Foundation Members. The other on the North Shore being Chatswood..
When the New South Wales Branch received its Charter on 25 April 1917, there was already a Returned Soldiers Association active in the Mosman area. Meetings then were in a variety of halls and school halls, private homes, or even in the open air. Its function was mainly social, initially. This later evolved into a more practical purpose, when it adopted a system of welfare support for ex-servicemen.
The Sub Branch was originally located in a shed at the corner of Beach Lane and Military Road. In 1918 public subscriptions raised 6,000 pounds of the 15,000 pounds required for the construction of the Anzac Memorial Hall, the balance was loaned by the Commonwealth Bank. Some of the raised monies, funded the Cenotaph which was unveiled in 1925. The President, Lt Col John Phipps and Lord Forster, the Governor General at the time, laid the Foundation Stone for the Anzac Memorial Hall that housed the Sub Branch on 23 April 1921.
The Hall opened 3 years later on 5 May 1924. The Mosman RSL was located upstairs and the Kings Theatre downstairs seating 540. The Kings Theatre was renamed “Rex” Theatres in 1937.
In 1929, Council considered demolishing the Town Hall and purchasing the Anzac Memorial Hall including its debt of 7,500 pounds. There were many initial difficulties with the Hall and its Trustees including deaths of Trustees. But an energetic committee elected in 1933 allowed the debt to be paid off on 11 November 1944.
The Club received its Liquor and Club Licence on 7 April 1947. Mosman Returned Servicemen’s Club was incorporated in 1967, with the first Annual General Meeting held that year. The Hall continued to entertain Veterans from World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, also their families, friends and residents of Mosman, well into the 70’s, until changing times and needs led to the establishment of the present Returned Servicemen’s Club.
This present site was the Kinema Theatre built in 1915. It suffered a major fire in 1921, was rebuilt and eventually closed in 1963. It was purchased by the Club in 1968, and wasn’t demolished for a further 4 years then finally opened in 1975. The top floor was built in 1989. The Club remains a vital pillar of the community and supports many local charities and organisations.